To support patient self-management, the health care team will need to:
Establish Self Management
- Assess patient readiness
- Assess patient/staff cultures
- Assist patients to define their role in self- management and build knowledge and skills needed to undertake self-management tasks.
- Define staff role in patient self-management process.
- Train staff to educate and train patients in self-management techniques.
- Ensure that patients understand the implications of the diagnosis and related symptoms, treatment, medications, outcomes and outcomes measurements.
- Provide patient education on applicable clinical practice guidelines.
- Staff trains patient in self-management techniques.
- Health care workers share communicate and share complete and unbiased information with patients and their family in ways that are affirming and useful.
- Patients and families receive timely, complete and accurate information in order to participate in care and Decision making.
Develop Mutual Goals
Develop a Care Plan